Fees & Financing Your Course

Going to University can be costly, however at Carlisle College we can provide you with a local, value for money alternative. Not only that but we have a dedicated team of staff who can help with all aspects from loans to budgeting.

If you normally live in England and you’re studying for your first degree or other higher education qualification, you won’t have to pay tuition fees upfront or until after graduation. Government loans are available to cover your tuition fees and help with living costs. 

Tuition fee loans will be available to cover the full cost of tuition, regardless of household income, and this will be paid directly to the College by the Student Loans Company.

You may also be eligible for a maintenance loan to help with living costs. This loan is dependent on your household income, and is paid into your bank account at the start of each term.

Use the student finance calculator to estimate your Maintenance Loan.

Repayments of loans are based on your future income, not what you borrow. You won’t repay anything until you’ve left university and your income is over £27,295 a year (before tax and other deductions). You’ll repay 9 per cent of the part of your income which is above this level. Find out more about repaying your loan here.

As a part-time student you are also eligible for a tuition fee loan if you are completing a minimum of 25% of the equivalent full-time course load each year. We can advise you about this. You will start to repay your loan in the year after you finish studying or after three years from the start of your course, whichever is earlier if you are earning more than £27,295 a year (before tax and other deductions).

You may also be entitled to extra help if you:

    • are under 25, have no contact with your parents and support yourself
    • pay for childcare
    • are a full-time student with children
    • have an adult who depends on you financially
    • have a disability, mental or physical health problem or learning difficulty like dyslexia

You can find out more information on how to apply here.

You can apply online here.

You'll need to create a student finance account if you're a new student or sign into an existing account if you're a returning student. It can take up to 6 weeks to process your application. You might have to provide extra evidence.

You can find out more information on funding and finance from the Government website here

Full-time tuition fees

UK and EU students:
  • Certificate of Higher Education - £9,250 per year
  • Foundation Degree - £9,250 per year
  • Honours Degree (Top-Up) - £9,250 per year
  • Honours Degree - £9,250 per year
  • Masters Degree - £6,000 per year
  • MBA - £8,250 per year
  • PGCE - £9,000 per year

Part-time tuition fees

UK and EU students:
  • Certificate of Higher Education - £4,625 per year
  • Foundation Degree (excluding Initial Teacher Training) - £4,625 per year
  • Honours Degree (Top-Up) - £4,625 per year
  • Honours Degree - £4,625 per year
  • Masters Degree - Up to £3,995 per year
  • PGCE - £2,500 per year

The price includes tuition, exam and material fees (where applicable).

Course fees are subject to annual review. You should expect to pay tuition fees for every year in attendance and be aware these fees may increase annually. On the basis of current government guidance any increase will not exceed the increase in inflation by reference to the Retail Price Index (RPI).

Further information about Fees can also be found in our Access and Participation Plans.

Our Access and Participation Plan and historical Access Agreements can be found here

Every care has been taken to ensure that the fee information is accurate, but we reserve the right to amend it if necessary.

Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) provide extra financial help for disabled students. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. For more information on what's available click here

When do I have to pay my fees?
You should pay your fees when you enrol. If someone else is paying, for example your employer, please bring a letter from them confirming that they will pay your fees. If you are applying for a student loan to cover your fees please ensure that that this is in place in time for enrolment. Please bring your letter from Student Finance with you. Fees are invoiced every year, for example if you are enrolled on a two year course you will be

invoiced at the start of the second year.

Liable Fees

If you choose to leave your degree early you could still be liable for course costs. Read full information here.

How can I pay?

  • In person at reception – cash, debit or cheque payable to Carlisle College
  • By phone, please call 01228 822700