Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music Technology
Duration: 35 Weeks
Start Date: September 2023
End Date: June 2024
Type: Full Time
Tutor: Mark Nicholson
This one-year course is designed for progressing Music Production students who wish to extend and further develop their skills and knowledge in music recording, sound production, events management and project development.
The course is predominately project led with collaborations with Music, Media and Performing Arts courses and prepares students for employment as well as Higher Education. It provides students with exciting hands-on vocational learning experiences.
Most units are delivered and assessed through industry related projects that put students into real industry situations including: 1-Producing and launching an album or EP, 2-Creation of promotional artwork, 3-Organising an album or EP launch event, 4-Moving image sound design and music composition
Students will learn;
- Creative Technology in Performance
- Sound and Music for Film and Games
- Specialist Multimedia
- Final Major Project: Proposal
- Final Major Project
An Extended Diploma in Music Production, developing key skills and knowledge through practical learning across all aspects of Music Production offering a wide range of possible destinations.Extra Studies:
Functional Skills, GCSE in Maths and English.
The course runs over 5 days with delivered sessions and individual study time included. Students are given time after delivery of the units delivery to expand creatively upon techniques and information shown within any resources that are available throughout the College
You will be assessed in a mixture of different ways such as: Technical live shows, Digital productions and portfolios, Demonstrations, Presentations, Reports, Essays, Formal tests and Observed workshops
- 5 GCSEs at grades 4 (C) and above, including maths and English,
- Level 2 Vocational qualification at Merit or Distinction and GCSEs at grade 4 (C) and above in maths and English,
- Scottish Equivalent,
- GCSE Music is desirable but not essential,
- Applicants should have good instrumental skills, vocal skills or demonstrable production skills; however, we do not require you to have an official music qualification,
- A basic understanding of music theory and or composition is also beneficial.
- Please note that entry requirements and course offer can be subject to change at any time.
A BTEC Extended Diploma is a recognised qualification that is accepted by most Higher Education Institutions as an alternative / additional qualification to traditional A Levels.
During the Extended Diploma course students are supported through the UCAS application system to progress onto undergraduate level study. You may decide to go straight into employment at the end of your studies, and where possible industry relevant work placements are found and core functional skills are developed to the next level.
Audition and Interview Required consisting of: 1-Perform two pieces of music on your specialist instrument or 2-Present a portfolio of work and a piece of music programming/sequencing production work.
Prospectus DownloadsFull Time Course Guide
Higher Education Guide