Diploma of Higher Education: Education and Training
Duration: 2 Years
Start Date: September 2023
End Date: June 2025
Type: Part Time
Tutor: Helen Armstrong and Sam McCredie
Course Fees: £5,000.00 (£2,500.00 per year of study).
The DET is a level 5 programme and is designed to meet the needs of non-graduates that are wishing to teach their specialist subject. It is aimed at vocational specialists either currently in/or seeking to pursue a career in the wider education sector and it has been informed by the most recent developments in educational research and government policy.
It focuses on developing teaching skills, and not on the subject intended to teach. For this reason, trainee teachers are expected to have a good understanding of their chosen subject(s) before starting training. The course will give trainee teachers the skills and confidence they need to become an effective teacher within the post 16 sector.
Trainee teachers will analyse the many changes currently affecting the further education and skills sector. They will develop their knowledge of various teaching approaches and techniques to become a skilled and reflective teacher. With the support from experienced tutors from a range of sectors across the industry, trainee teachers will receive real life examples and industry contact including workshops and placements to understand the complex, ever-changing and exciting world of teaching. We pride ourselves on the personalised lessons and seminars where classes enable trainees to have more interaction and support from tutors to help maximise their potential.
Students will learn;
- Year 1 – Level 4 Modules
- DET 101 – Developing Teaching Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- DET 103 – Theories Principals and Models in Education and Training
- DET 104 - Inclusive Teaching in a Specialist Area
- Year 2 – Level 5 Modules
- DET 201 - Developing Teaching Learning and Assessment in Education and Training
- DET 203 – Wider Professional Practice
- DET 208 – Understanding and Managing Behaviours in the Learning Environment
This qualification enables you to work in the post 16 sector, teaching within your specialist subject area.Extra Studies:
There is a requirement of a minimum of 100hrs teaching over the duration of the two years. You will also need to have a sound understanding of the latest Safeguarding policy and the Equality and Diversity Art.
On this programme you will attend taught sessions and seminars alongside carrying out your 100hrs teaching practice. These sessions include a combination of yearlong and individual modules that are aligned to meet the assessment needs of the programme and have a strong focus on the development of teaching strategies and approaches. This philosophy is based upon the importance of learning through experience.
There are a combination of assignments, presentations, professional discussions and observation of teaching practice.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, one in English and one in Maths or have achieved a Level 2 (NQF) in Literacy / English Language and Numeracy,
- A minimum of a Level 3 in your subject specialism,
- You must confirm you have a minimum of 100 teaching hours available and have the support of a subject specialist mentor prior to enrolling on the programme.
- If English is not your first language, you will require a minimum IELTS score of 6.5,
- Entry on the programme will be dependent upon a valid enhanced DBK check which must be carried out by the college in line with government policy,
- It is strongly advised that you have worked within the industry you are wanting to teach, as this enables you to provide contextualised examples and draw on your experiences to better inform your teaching practice within the classroom.
- Please note that entry requirements and course offer can be subject to change at any time.
The course fully meets the requirements for the Initial Teacher Education for the post compulsory sector and can lead to QTLS. The placement allows for the opportunity to impress future employers and potentially gain employment.
Using the credits acquired you can progress onto a BA (HONS) in Education and Professional Development at the School of Education.
Course costs and information:
It's important that you know what your tuition fee includes and what other costs you'll need to plan for. Read what your fee includes here.
An additional change of £40 will be required for an advanced DBS check.