Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Culinary Skills
Duration: 35 Weeks
Start Date: September 2024
End Date: June 2025
Type: Full Time
Tutor: Paul Robson
The Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills qualification provides the opportunity to develop practical skills related to a wide range of cooking techniques. Practical sessions will be enhanced through underpinning theory sessions.
Learners will be encouraged to complete work placement in the industry in addition to working in our College Bistro.
This course provides the opportunity to develop practical skills through lessons and sessions in our training kitchens and working bistro. These opportunities you to practise your communication skills in a simulated work environment which prepares you well for future employment.
Students will learn;
- Food safety in canteens
- Prepare and cook rice, pasta, greens and egg dishes
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- Prepare and cook poultry
- Prepare and cook meat and offal
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Prepare and cook fruits and vegetables
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Produce hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Produce fermented dough products
- Prepare cook and finish basic hot and cold desserts
- Prepare cook and finish basic rice dishes
Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Culinary Skills, as well as working on your communication skills and interacting with customers.Extra Studies:
GCSE Maths and English, enrichment and work placement in a Hospitality setting.
This is a practical based course. You will gain work experience through working in the bistro and training kitchens. These sessions are underpinned with relevant theory sessions.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including: Synoptic assessments, Practical assessments, Written assignments.
- 4 GCSEs at grade 3 (D) including Maths and English,
- A Level 1 vocationally related qualification,
- Interest in Hospitality and catering.
- Please note that entry requirements and course offer can be subject to change at any time.
Subject to successfully achieving Level 2, learners may progress onto Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery.
Alternatively, learners may choose to seek employment in the Hospitality sector or enrol onto an apprenticeship.
Learners will be expected to complete work experience in the sector.
Prospectus DownloadsFull Time Course Guide
Higher Education Guide